Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have a 10 month old thats been diagnosed with fluid in her

I have a 10 month old that's been diagnosed with fluid in her ear. A little background info: she has been tugging at her ear, runny nose, that led to a cough. She also snores when sleeping, which wakes her (and us up). Sounds like she has a sinus issue. Antibiotic prescribed by her regular doc didn't really seem to work. So we took her to an ENT doc which dug deeper and discovered there was fluid on the ear. Causing her to constantly tug her ear. He said her adenoids are swollen causing the fluid and should be removed ASAP.

My question is are these procedures common for a child so young? What kind of recovery should we expect? I am Just hesitant for my daughter to have a procedure at such a young age.

That is a bit young for adenoid surgery and certainly she is not too young for antibiotics as they can be given to newborns who need them.

The adenoids and tonsils are really part of the immune system and are not routinely removed for infection problems but rather for significant airway obstruction, which is unusual at her age.

It is common that in infants and toddlers of age 18 to 24 months the adenoids are symptomatic, meaning that snoring, nasal airway obstruction and obstructed breathing usually occur during sleep.

Over time, adenoids become gradually asymptomatic as when children reach school age, adenoids are expected to begin to shrink and when they reach teenage years, the adenoids should become small enough to not cause any symptoms.

Recovery may take 2-4 weeks after adenoidectomy.

However as she has fluid in ear which needs to be treated well.

I suggest you to ask her ENT specialist to advocate yourself.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank for the info. So adenoids being swollen related to fluid in the ear? If we decide to wait and see, what other non surgical options are there that might alleviate this?

Thanks for follow-up.

Adenoid infections in children can lead to middle ear infections and yes the fluid can be due to swollen adenoids as told by her doctor.

Usually in most of the cases,swelling of adenoid resolve if infection subside.

Firstly non conservative treatment like antibiotics,antihistaminic medications,pain relievers should be given.

A repeat antibiotic course can be considered again.

If the symptoms are not controlled by medication, the doctor may recommend surgically removing them.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.