Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

my 36 year old son has been diagnosed with a sinus infection

Customer Question

my 36 year old son has been diagnosed with a sinus infection and has been on antibiotic since yesterday. but is in such pain that he had to leave work today, he also has swelling. my question is what can he do for the pain until the antibiotic has a chance to work. thankyou!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Please see the post below as your answer.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply about your son and come up with the following answer:

The sinuses become congested and can become infected,a condition called sinusitis.It usually occurs after a cold due to bacteria and viruses infecting the lining of the sinuses.

Mostly the acute sinusitis start with a common cold, which is caused by a virus. Colds/flu can inflame your sinuses and cause symptoms of sinusitis.The cold/flu virus/bacteria attacks the lining of your sinuses, causing them to swell and become narrow.

Following will help him greatly:

-For pain relief from sinusitis,he can take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly in pain relief & reducing the swelling of sinuses.

-Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.It will provide relief in congestion.

-Keeping a humidifier running in his room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day will provide him dramatic relief.

All this will help him to keep his symptoms at bay.In the mean time prescribed antibiotic will start its action & will provide complete cure.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou so much, my son has never called in sick to work, so i knew he was in alot od pain, i gave him your instructions and knew he was immediately grateful, thankyou again!

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Also this home treatment can provide him additional relief for the time being till the antibiotics start working:

-It is Neti pot that will help him greatly.It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away crusting in the nasal passages.Research has prooved that nasal irrigation can be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms when used along with standard sinus treatments.

-Drinking plenty of fluids will help to thin the mucus.

-Saline nasal drops (available as OTC) can be instilled in each nostril to get additional relief.

Thank you for showing repeatedly trust in just answer website.

My main motive is your 100% satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Hi Betty,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

How is your son feeling now?
Is still having pain?
Does his infection get cured?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is feeling much better, thank you! He followed all your instructions and the antibiotic finally took hold. thank you again for you help and concern. With many thanks, Betty