Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Ive been experiencing sudden partial hearing loss in my right

I've been experiencing sudden partial hearing loss in my right ear. It doesn't happen all of the time but when it happens it tends to happen on and off throughout the day. I can put my finger on my left ear and hear the blood rushing or that whooshing sound but when I do it on my right ear I don't hear anything. There is no high pitched tones or anything it just sounds like something is in my ear preventing me from hearing. I can hear myself talk almost like when you are in a plane except without the pressure. I have no health issues that would cause this to happen. It will go away for weeks then all of the sudden come back. I have tried to rule out food or vitamins etc.. But nothing makes sense. I haven't been sick. I do have post nasal drip and night time congestion but I have had that my whole life and have never experienced this. I am a 44 year old female with no major health issues.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms of sudden gush(flow) of fluid in ear?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Do you have any pain or discharge from ear?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not went to the doctor and no pain or discharge.
Is fluid the reason I can't hear all of the sudden?
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having can be due to various causes.It is possible that you may indeed have fluid in your ear (in the middle ear space deep to the eardrum). Alternatively, it is also possible that you may have some fluid in your external ear (ear canal).

Another great possibility is of a condition called tinnitus. It may sounds like rushing water beside ringing in ears.The most common cause of this is damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear.

Other causes are:hearing nerve impairment due to advanced age,wax buildup or foreign objects in the ear canal, ear or sinus infections,post nasal dribbling,exposure to loud noise.

As you have history of post nasal drip,this can be the most probable cause of fluid & hence partial sudden hearing loss because the infection may travel via eustachian tube(a connection between middle ear & back of nose)to the ear.

You need following tests:

-Audiogram
-ABR or auditory brain response
-Acoustic reflex test
-Tympanogram

In many cases,it may simply go away on its own.Otherwise treatment includes anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants,antihistamines, anticonvulsants,Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT).Antibiotics will be prescribed if the infection is confirmed.

So dear XXXXX,I advice you to make an appointment with your ENT doctor for these tests & examination to confirm the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The whooshing I was speaking of is in the left ear not the ear that I'm having the problem with. And when I say whooshing I'm talking about the sound that is normal when you cover your ears . I can cover my left ear and hear it which is normal but if I cover my right I hear nothing of the sort, nothing at all. Does this still indicate fluid in the ear?
I can understand that you are experiencing sudden partial hearing loss and no high pitched tones or anything in your right ear.

And you can hear the blood rushing or that whooshing sound in your left ear when finger is inserted or when you cover it.

Dear XXXXX
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,you need evaluation of both the ears by the ENT doctor to see which ear has fluid inside or having tinnitus.
This also may be caused by damage to the sensory structures (hair cells) of the inner ear, auditory nerve, or auditory nerve pathways in the brain (sensorineural hearing loss).

You may need these tests for checking hearing loss:audiometry,speech threshold audiometry,Tympanometry tests, Electrocochleography and other tests.

So I advice you to make an appointment with your ENT doctor for these tests & examination to confirm the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Laura,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your ENT doctor?
What was the final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles