Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

My 20 yr old daughter woke in the middle of the night with

My 20 yr old daughter woke in the middle of the night with low back pain and vomiting. The pain is worse if she stands. She has had kidney stones in the past, but says this pain is not as severe. She is away at college, and scheduled to fly to the Czech Republic later today. Should she not travel?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Is she having pain in urination?
Does she has associated fever or chills?
How many times she has vomited?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Shie is not having pain with urination, nor does she have fever or chills, only pain in the lower back & stomach. She has vomited twiice. She is on day four or five of her menses.
Thanks for quick input. I am sorry to hear about her problems.
Kidney stones may cause sudden, intense pain. And usually pain is concentrated on one side of the back but it may also move into the stomach or down to the groin.
It sounds that she has kidney stone attack. Having associated nausea and vomiting confirms the diagnose.

If stone size is less than 5mm, they they are very likely to pass out of the ureter.
At this time, she should not go for air travel, because repeat attack of kidney stone may occur, It may be severe in nature.
She need immediate painkiller injections and medications to control symptoms.
Nausea and vomiting can continue to worsen and may persist until the kidney stone is passed or removed. She should postpone her trip, and see doctor immediately.
In the mean time, she should take plenty of fluids, and take adequate rest. She should take light meals. It is advised to visit ER for prompt management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.