Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

For the past few years i have noticed a pain in my chest that

For the past few years i have noticed a pain in my chest that randomly shows up from time to time. Usually it seems to happen after doing exercise such as pushups or weights. However the past week it has progressed to a more noticeable level. The pain is as follows: directly in the middle of my chest, a feeling of crushing, throbbing with almost a muscle type spasm feeling but it just tenses up and then goes away, happens a little while and then it seems to relax and go back to normal. Today it has been noticeable enough to take concern and wonder if maybe its not just a muscle spasm. I have no history of heart disease. Does that prevent my chances of having heart disease? Also i am 28 yrs old, fairly active and 200 pounds @ 5'11 tall. I am active at my job as a news photographer so i am carrying gear around with me on and off. The feeling is directly in the middle of my chest and can be quickly relieved usually if i pull my shoulders back and stand straight.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have breathing discomfort while having chest pain?
Does pain disappears with painkiller?
Is pain localized or radiating towards arm/shoulder ?
Have you felt numbness in left arm ?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Breathing is fine.
I havnt had the need to try a painkiller usually goes away on its own fast.
Pain seems localized.
No numbness, Everything feels fine except the middle area during the episode.

Thanks for quick input.I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Angina(heart related pain) usually starts with chest pain or tightness This pain can be felt as dull, heavy, tight or severe. Also pain and discomfort may spread to your jaw, neck, arms, back or stomach.
Patient feels sick or shortness of breath. In your case, it doesn't sounds to be related with heart or any other serious issue.

Considering your height and weight, BMI comes to be 27.9, You fall in Overweight category.
You should do Yoga aerobic exercise-walking, cycling or swimming, deep breathing exercises, this increases the oxygen intake to the body cells, including the fat cells causing increased oxidation or burning up of fat cells.

You should eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. You should increase Fiber in diet. You should take six small meals rather than large meals. You should avoid Fats, fried foods. You should drink Plenty of water(10- 15 glasses per day).
Apart from this if you have unexplained weight gain then you need to undergo Thyroid function test as well.

As you are physically active and at an age group of 28 in the absence of family history of heart disease, i would not worry for heart disease.
Your symptoms are most likely due to Costochondritis, It is inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. This inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall.

To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
1.Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
2.Antidepressants, specifically tricyclic antidepressants, are very helpful.
3. Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.