Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Hello, I have had a weird sporatic strong pulsation above

I have had a weird sporatic strong pulsation above my left ear for a couple days now. It has been coming and going. I notice it most when I am laying in bed. After the pulsation subsides there is sometimes a dull pain in that area. It is just worrying me that it could be a clot or anuresm or something serious. I am male 24 years of age, overweight but semi active. Thank you for your help
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Are you on any medications?
Have you noticed any swelling above ear?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
Any past significant medical condition?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on Buproion (Welbutrin) 150 mg 2x daily for about 6 months now. The doctor said I had generalized anxiety and asked me questions about depression.

I generally worry about my health and little sensations or feelings in my body often.

I do not have any swelling above the ear.

I have not had any past significant medical conditions.

Thanks for quick input. I am sorry to hear about your problems.
Well there are couple of possibilities-
Mostly it can be a pulsating artery which is pretty common as this is a area of the head which is well supplied with multiple arteries.
In case of stress or hypertension such arteries pulsate.

It is not related with serious issue like blood clot or aneurysm.
Aneurysm is associated with severe headache, nausea, blurred vision, Confusion, Loss of consciousness. No need to get panic for serious disorders.

Other possibility can be Pulsatile tinnitus or over active thyroid or or intracranial hypertension (increase in fluid pressure in the brain)
Please consult your primary doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.