Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Is there a HIV that can not be detected by blood tests? 8

Is there a HIV that can not be detected by blood tests?
8 years ago I was taken advantage of by a club owner after drinking too much and my friends put me in the staff room to sober up. After it happened I was devastated and confused- blamed myself for putting myself in that situation. I later told my friend who told me that she heard a roomer that he infact had an std. 
I ran into this guy weeks later and decided to ask him if he had anything that I should be worried about and this is exactly what he told me- he said that he had HIV, but it can't be detected by blood tests and hardly anybody knows about this particular strain which he found out he had while he was overseas or something? I cant remember his exact "story" He said that I "probably wouldn't have got it as he's had a girlfriend for years and she hadn't contracted it" not to tell anyone because I would be locked up in a mental institution... He was a club owner heavily into drugs hanging around bad people and he scared me really badly. I spoke to a doctor about it shortly after- while I got a full blood and std test and the doctor said he was unaware of anything similar to what this guy was claiming and that he thought the guy was trying to scare me into keeping quiet about what had happened. Since then I have had years of therapy to get over it- multiple std checks, got married and have now had two children. All of a sudden it's crept back into my head and I'm freaking out over every rash or cold my children get thinking its HIV. I'm crying every night thinking i have given something to my husband and children. I have even had the kids tested for HIV which of course came back negative but that man told me it didn't come up in blood tests.  Has anybody heard of something like what that guy described? I just want this nightmare to be over!! I have pretty much exhausted all the testing here in Australia- but I'm wondering do I need to be venturing out for other testing or do I need to go back and start seeing my psychologist again :(
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question ,what this person said to you it is completely false.there are two main types of HIV viruses type 1 and type 2, in America the most common type is type 1,in Africa and Asia you can find the HIV 2.Both types can be detected with the regular serology blood test.

If you already have been tested with negative results, You do not have HIV.Rashes and colds are extremely common and they do not mean your children or you have HIV.

I personally experienced this extremely fear,when I was a medical student I had an accidental needlestick injury and even when the test results were negative once and once again , I thought maybe I caught the disease and the test results are not accurate .

You can not let this false statement this guy gave you to control your life,even more when this is completely false . All HIV types can be detected with the common antibody blood tests .If you would have been infected, the test results would have been positive.

If you can not control this obsessive thought you definitely need to see your psychologist to receive professional help .

But you do not need to have any more tests done.

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response, I just wanted to add that I have had folicilitis on my upper arms since I was really young but over the past couple of years now have it on my lower arms and a little on right under my Brest area, my husband and son have it on their upper arms and my youngest is starting to get it on her upper arm.

A week or two after "the incident" as i mentioned in my origional post I became I'll with the flu and needed antibiotics

I have lost a fair amount of hair in the 7 years since this has happened which the man said would happen, he also said it doesnt affect you like the known forms of HIV, it lays dormant and then kills you 10- 20 years after contracting it. He is not a honest trustworthy type of guy but why would someone know so much about something or even admit to having something like this if it wasn't true. I just don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

A person can know a lot about something specially if they are creating things to make you scared.

On the other side, extreme anxiety could affect your health greatly,it can produce hair loss even it can weaken your immune system making you more prone to get infections. You need urgent psychological help,this is something you need to care of so it does not begin to affect your entire family.

Life is too precious to waste your time and your energy in something a guy you do not even know told you years ago. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah but how about the folicilitis? Isn't that a symptom of HIV? I have always had it but now my husband has it also who has never had it- and now both of my children, I just really want to know if there is any other avenue I should explore- I don't want to let this go if there is ANY truth to what he said.

If there was a strain of HIV that did what he claimed it did and that it was undetectable by blood tests- would we know about it?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Folliculitis is caused by a Staphylococcus bacterial infection not an HIV viral infection.

If you feel extremely concerned ,You could consult an Immunologist Specialist to see you if that gives you some peace of mind.

There are only two HIV types 1 and 2 ,both are detectable with the blood test.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD