Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My wife is 4 months pregnant. She got a sunburn on her belly

My wife is 4 months pregnant. She got a sunburn on her belly today and is worried if there are any risks to the baby. She normally doesnt sunburn and was wearing a SPF 15, but still got a bsunburn on her belly.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Was this from sunshine or a tanning bed (sorry I have to ask). I'm assuming natural sunlight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it was natural sunlight. We are in Dominican for a family vacation

Okay thank you so much for the added information. While the sunburn itself is not a factor (other than it may be extra itchy since her skin is stretching and growing in that area), the main risk (which is small but nonetheless) is the core temperature of the pregnant woman can elevate to high levels and can cause damage to the fetus's brain if the temperature was high enough and for long periods of time. Now, I am talking about getting a sunburn when you are very hot and sweaty. I also know that sunburns can occur when the person is cool and in cloudy conditions (so this situation would not apply). It is only those situations where the body temperature is high because of the angle of the sun and environment. But the sunburn itself on the belly is not harmful (except for the risk of skin cancer). Reply back if you need clarification on anything.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.