Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My husband has a small sore on his nose that wont seem to

My husband has a small sore on his nose that won't seem to heal. It keeps scabbing up, but then the scab breaks off (or he messes with it and pulls it off) and the sore bleeds a bit then scabs up again. It's not very big and he says it doesn't hurt, but it has been there for a long time. Can you suggest what might be causing it and what we can do about it? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Just to be sure, is the area you are speaking of in the inside of the nose or the outside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on the outside of his nose. Like a pimple - only it's not raised up, it's just a little red sore.
Ok thanks so much for the reply

This could be a small skin cancer like basal cell carcinoma. They tend to get scaly, then the scale will fall off leaving a red base underneath...then the process starts all over again. Squamous cell acts much in the same way and with it being on his face, it is even more likely. They can range anywhere from really big or very tiny. They are a group of non-melanoma skin cancers and are usually just removed by excising the area or freezing it off and sending it off to pathology. No other treatment is required.

The face is almost always one of the first places to have these types of skin cancers because of the repeated exposure to sunlight (and especially on the left side of the face because of the direction of the sun coming in the car window).

Other than this possibility, a small skin infection or fungal infection may be to blame but a biopsy will have to determine exactly what it is. Most Dermatologist can look at the area and be able to determine what is going on (as far as a Basal Cell or what). I would recommend seeing a Dermatologist for this.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's a relief. I'm afraid my imagination was making the worst of it. We'll get him to a dermatologist right away.