Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Symptoms: nausea, gas (moving from stomach to mouth, not belching

Symptoms: nausea, gas (moving from stomach to mouth, not belching ); headache right eye pulsating; dizziness, occasional pain upper abdominal area. Ocassional Vomiting with tinted blood in it. Food seems to stay undigested in stomach for long periods. vomiting also only gastric accid with blood tinted. Mucus in stool & urine. Neuralgia Pain throughout body (mostly right side). Pregnancy-related food alergies (resulting in hives and/or petechia and vomiting).
Ended up at ER with pain after and vomiting gastric acid nd blood twice in one day. They checked with Sono for gallstones, none found. Sent home with food suggestions of what to eat or not.
Have been following simple meal plan (no spices, no carbonated drinks, no fried food, no citrus/acidic foods), small portion but no relief.
Also 12wks pregnant (3rd pregnancy).

Q: Any ideas jump? Which specialist should I request an appointment with?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you underwent any tests like upper endoscopy?
Are you taking any medications now?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Symptons got worst with the pregnancy - previous to that was occasional. Because of pregnancy ER staff did not want to do endoscopy. No known other medical issues (other than pregnancy now). ER staff was reluctant to prescribe any medicine, finally they did nexium and Maalox but suggested to take it only if really needed and to try better their food suggestions.
Dear Katie,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Gastric trouble is a very common complaint during pregnancy.During pregnancy higher levels of progesterone hormone slows down digestive processes, which can lead to gas.

The symptoms you are having is most likely due to GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

Also there is associated gastritis.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.Due to hormonal changes in pregnancy it gets aggravated.

You need to make an appointment with gastroenterologist doctor.As you are 12 wks pregnant now,so tests like endoscopy should be avoided as told by your ER staff.Safe medications will be prescribed by the gastro doctor accordingly.

Following tips will help greatly:Pasta and potatoes can be a source of gas.The foods most likely to cause gas are beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and asparagus.So avoid them.Put legs up to relieve pressure from your abdomen in order to assist digestion.

It is generally considered safe to take antacids such as Tums or Rolaids as well as Simethicone, which is found in the over the counter medications.Take it after consultation of your doctor.

You need to make some dietary changes along with medications. Avoid chocolate, peppermint,fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages.Avoid beans, cabbage, and carbonated beverages.All this will help you greatly to keep your symptoms at bay.If still required,you need to make an appointment with gastroenterologist doctor.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Do you still have the symptoms?
Have you consulted gastro doctor?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles