Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

hi dr, i have also been told by a dentist that i might

hi dr,

i have also been told by a dentist that i might have thrush on the tongue as there is slight white coat. should i take any midications? how serios is it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Slight white coating can be due to collection of dead cells & bacteria on the tongue.

This can occur from dehydration, fever, mouth breathing, smoking, alcohol etc.

White tongue can be from fungal infection or thrush too.

This alters the normal flora causing the yeast to grow.

In many cases it passes off on its own.

Yogurt with lactobacilli in it helps to restore the flora.

You can try it.

If that does not help, then you can require prescription medicine.

Regards.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dear DR,

i keep getting this slight pain/slight feeling of a pain in my elbows and arms ..very slight and very occasional...what could this be?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Do you feel the pain in the joint of the elbow or in any other part?

Is there any swelling, tenderness?

How frequently do you get it?

Please write in detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no pain in the joint at all. its just next to bone that is rising in the inner elbow. i can not see or feel any swelling. i suppose the swelling can be easily seen and felt??

i dont really know how often, but it happens from time to time, it is not consistant, although i have been feeling this discomfort since last year.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

This pain in the inner side of elbow seems to be due to medial epicondylitis of the elbow.

This is due at the insertion of tendon to bone.

This can occur from repetitive movement, use or twisting..

You need to get an examination by doctor.

Initial treatment is to rest, application of ice, avoiding movement which aggravates it.

Antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin or aleve can be helpful.

Sometimes steroid injection is needed if the pain gets intense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dear Dr., i wanted to know about the risk involved in Oral sex. i keep hearing about high risk and low risk but dont really know what it means. how is exposure measured to be high or low and depending on what? also, is oral sex high or low risk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

I noticed the relist.

Are you asking about the risk of HIV in oral sex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Dr, yes and also other STDs pls.

kinldy not that the woman i had the oral sex with have had at least one HIV test which is negative.

Oral sex is considered low risk for HIV. CHances of transmission of HIV through oral sex is very low for the receptive partner although a low chance is there for the active partner (the one who is giving oral sex).

However, there is still chances of transmission of other STD through oral sex.

In particular, Herpes, HPV, gonorrhea throat infection, Syphilis, Chlamydia can be transmitted through oral sex.

Discuss about STD screening at a local clinic. You can also do the full panel test at 3 weeks and 3 months for a full screening for possible STD.

Remember, If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

You have already accepted once, but that was for the previous expert. Please give me a positive rating also so that I get credit for this answer.

Do ask if you have any more questions, I am online now.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry dr did not fully understand. if i am getting oral sex then there is a very low risk that HIV can be transmitted to me? is this right?

also, Herpes, HPV, gonorrhea throat infection, Syphilis, Chlamydia can be transmitted through oral sex to whom? to the person getting oral sex? pls elaborate.

also, what are the hight risk? how is it measured?

Yes, since you are a male and had a blow job, risk of transmission to you is very low, practically negligible. Risk would be there only if the female partnet had a lot of blood in her mouth.

The other STD's can be transmitted both sides, but the risk is more to the female partner. This means that if you have STD, there is a high chance that you would have transmitted it to the female with this act. But if she has STD, then chances of transmission to you are lesser, but chances are still there.

High risk and low risk cannot be measured quantitatively, it cannot be given as a percentage. High risk partners would be those who are known to have STD, prositutes, etc. Strangers are also considered high risk partners. High risk activity for oral sex would be doing it without condoms, and being the active partner in oral sex.

Any more questions?

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you dr. these STDs will be transmitted through saliva? what about kissing, can kissing transmit stds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

The herpes virus can be spread by kissing and/or saliva. Although it is possible for this to be spread by kissing without an open sore (or lesions) visible, it would be rare to be spread this way without there being an open lesion visible. Most often, unless a person has a very weak immune system due to an illness, herpes lesions are visible around the opening of the mouth. Most individuals with an active herpes outbreak would not want to kiss anyone, nor would anyone likely kiss them, but if you were to think about kissing someone and they had an open sore on the mouth.... this would be a time when you would NOT want to go forward with the kiss.

Now, the risk of catching HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) from kissing is extremely low, someone who has a cut or sore in the mouth has a chance of infection during open-mouthed kissing. Hopefully you would know a person well enough to have been able to talk about this sort of thing before kissing.

It is possible for other STDs to be spread by kissing as well, but also rare for this to occur.

But, mouth-to-genital contact can spread STDs, including HIV. A male receiving oral sex should use a condom and a female receiving oral sex should use a dental dam (unless in committed relationship that is also STD free). Anyone who has had sex should be tested for STDs.

I believe this answers your question, but please reply if further explanation is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the reply. just to clarify, hiv can spread thru mouth to gentials from saliva or open sores?

also, if the couple has been tested for stds/hiv at least once before and have had no earlier interactions there should not be any risk, am i right?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
If there were open sores, there would be a greater risk of HIV spreading from genitals to mouth than if there were no open sores at all.

If the couple were tested for stds/HIV and found to be clear and had had no other sexual encounters in the months before the test and since the test, then true there would be no risk.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Did that answer your question? Or do you need further explanation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. also, over the last few days i have been feeling week and continuously sleepy feeling, also, i have recently ( 2-3 days back) started to feel some pain in the back, kidneys area, which woke me up from sleep.

pls. note that there is tingling/irritating feeling since a couple of months in the area back of the knee.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Well, this is really a new questions and you have not rated my first answer yet. I hope you will do so. This pain in your back, sleepy, kidney area could indicate an infection though, and you need to go and see a doctor for possible antibiotic therapy (may need to rule out other causes, such as kidney stone or back strain or other back problem). Start drinking extra water as soon as possible. Let me know if you have further questions about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i will rate. could you pls. cooment of the back of knee feeling?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
The back of the knee issue, is not a common symptom either for STD's or kidney infections.

At your young age, it is likely to be a strain (from overuse or injury) or tight muscle (most common if you must sit a lot). It needs to be examined in person. If it were a tight muscle, then gentle stretches would be recommended. In an older person, one would want to rule out a clot in a vein (thrombosis) as these can occur in this area of the leg. If you are obese, have clotting problems, then it would be very important for you to see a doctor /health care provider right away for evaluation in person to rule out thrombosis.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS