Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Im a 27 year old female and have had a cold for the last 4

I'm a 27 year old female and have had a cold for the last 4 days. Today I drove for about 7 hours, returning home after the holidays, and towards the end of my drive, when I twisted my shoulders to look at something behind me, I had a pain in the center of my chest, just to the right of the sternum. This pain then continued, off and on for the next few hours. It's been about 4 hours since I first noticed it, and now I have a constant dull ache in that spot. It's a very low ache, but enough for me to notice it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have previous history of chest pain?

Does the pain gets aggravated on applying pressure on that point?

Any numbness in left arm?

Do you have any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you!

I have no history of chest pain.
The pain is not aggravated by pressure on that point.

I have no numbness in the left arm.

No other known medical illness.

Dear Beck,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having is most probably due to pulled chest muscles due to your twisting back.There can be possibility of pectoral strain.The pectoral muscles are a group of two muscles situated at the front of the chest.A muscle spasm is the result of inflammation caused by strain, causing the muscles to contract suddenly.

This pain does not seem to be due to angina or heart disease or lung disease.

A mild pulled chest muscle usually heals within a few days to a few weeks period.For first 48 hours:Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the ice pack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore reduces the inflammation due to pulled muscle.

Proper resting of the muscles is the main approach for management and treatment of a pulled chest muscle.

Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor for the tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website & wish you happy new year 2013.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Beck,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

How is your pain/mild ache now?
Have you taken these medications?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles