Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Since we just texted my ankles and feet continues to swell.

Since we just texted my ankles and feet continues to swell. They are both so stiff that I can barely bend the ankles and walk. This evening I have taken one Norco and have had my legs up and iced. Is this something that can wait til tomorrow or not? Thank you!
You are most welcome. Thanks for your question.

Since this is going on for some time, and with the rest (and Norco) it goes away, I would not be worried. All of us are worried about the deep vein thrombosis (DVT, blood clot), but in the absence of tenderness, redness in calves with prolonged off and on symptoms, this is unlikely to be worrisome. You may wait and watch till tomorrow.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually there is a large patch of redness on both calves in the front of the legs and they are sore to the touch. It has been there for several days. Your thoughts please
Hello Pat,

The decision making about your symptoms are based on duration of the symptoms, severity, course of illness and past medical illness. With the symptoms being there for a significant duration, I would not be worried. But if an ultrasound and a D-dimer test has not been done, you may consider them. These tests will rule out DVT categorically and resolve the anxiety related to it completely.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry-last question- what is DVT?
No problems about the questions.

DVT is deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). Following are the risk factors;

1) Prolonged immobilization in hospital or after injury.
2) Long flight or driving.
3) Family history
4) Oral contraceptive.
5) Inherited blood disorders
6) Heart failure
7) Ulcerative colitis.

Please read about it;