Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My psychiatrist has switched me over to rim ran instead of

My psychiatrist has switched me over to rim ran instead of zoloft. The past few days have been rough with crying spells and also stomach pains from side effects and vomiting. I went to immediate care and they said my heart was fine and this was from viral and side effects. My question is does even touching the belt buckle repeatedly effect the heart rhythm or is it my anxiety making my heart beat faster? Even if I stop touching heart is okay?
Hello and welcome, Kevin.

Anxiety can make heart beat faster. This is not concerning. Touching the belt buckle does not affect the heart rhythm. Stop touching the heart is okay. There is nothing worrisome here.

Wishing you a very happy, prosperous and healthy new year 2013.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Arun also could it have been that as I was leaning over to touch the car belt buckle and strap that my heart was beating faster because I was leaning over? So there is no way heart can be affected aside from beating fast from anxiety? thank you for helping me

You are very welcome, Kevin.

None of the activities you mentioned can cause problem to the heart. Your anxiety is causing fasting heart beat. I assure you, nothing serious here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again Dr. and just one more relation to the OCD no matter how many times you touch something or stop touching it even though heart is beating fast it does not affect the heart or the tightening of the diaphram or chest muscles from tension will not harm the heart as well?

Yes, heart is not affected by these repeated actions you had mentioned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

today my OCD acted up and it seemed like I kept clenching my left fist to feel my pulse during certain movements like picking up something or touching an object. My heart was racing after some pizza after dinner and my OCD of touching steering wheel kicked in. It felt like my heart was beating in my throat. were any of these anything to worry about or was it just anxiety and harmless to heart function? thank you Dr.

Kevin,

These symptoms are related to anxiety and heart is not affected at all because of these.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you dr. even though the heart was beating very fast it still won't harm heart?

Heart beats fast in many activities like running, exercising. Fast beating heart does not harm itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Today I was shopping in aisle and I kept hyperfocusing on a sign that said spices above the shelving. I became scared and nervous if I look away it will hurt my heart so I turned my back to the sign and walked away from it and looked back one more time. However I was worried this would somehow affect my heart function? So hyperfocusing on a sign then turning away cause any harm to heart or is it just my anxiety?

This is nothing to do with your heart!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but this is part of my mental illness and you are helping me but during these episodes like above are harmless to heart? Thank you again I am in mental pain.
I understand this Kevin. But I can assure you that none of what you had described cause harm to heart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question regarding the hyperfocusing I forgot to ask Dr. If you are viewing a program on TV screen and subtitle underneath it that I am staring at from OCD goes off screen does that cause any fluctuation in heart beating or is it just a nerve from anxiety?

Kevin,

It is nerve from anxiety. Heart is not affected at all from this. There is no relationship with the heart here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so the nerve in my left side of my neck just tensed even though heart was beating fast I appreciate you helping me Doctor it puts my mind at ease