Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

pain in right buttock down back of right leg hard to stretch

Customer Question

pain in right buttock down back of right leg hard to stretch for past few months where normally very flexible
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Were these symptoms precipitated after an injury or unaccustomed activity?
Do you have backache, numbness tingling in thigh, leg, foot?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?
Are your movements or back, hip, knee painful or restricted?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

had knee pain stopped working out all summer to heal knee developed this new prob.

running ok walking more painful when on treadmill so run more

stretching all of sudden became tough on right side only

driving long distance uncomfortable

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no problems except knee pain over summer stopped running/walking i did every morning to let knee heal no athritis saw dctor couldn't find problem

knee still hurts walking on treadmill if just walk but running fine

pain when stretch or drive long distance from right buttock to back upper right leg only up high in back of leg sometimes knee pain better when stretch but muscle pain not better

Hamstring tightness can be most likely cause of your symptoms. This may have been developed secondary due to knee pain. Back, hip and knee work in an integrated fashion and muscles are common for these joints. So one joint affects the other joints. The treatment is;

1) Physical therapy
2) Acupuncture
3) Mild massage
4) Deep electrotherapy done at physical therapy centers.

Please see the resource for the exercises;

The other possibility to look for would be pinched nerves in the back, which may cause this radiculopathy pain. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in back

2) Lumbar spondylosis; bone spurs in the back vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures may help:

Good supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

You can consult following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would pinch nerve scenario have different symptoms

The pinched nerves can have different symptoms and vary widely in different individuals. There can be numbness, tingling in any area of lower limb with pain going from buttock to thigh and leg.

It is privilege assisting you.