Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I went to the dr on Monday after discovering that I had an

I went to the dr on Monday after discovering that I had an enlarged tonsil with white patches on it. Doesn't hurt just felt a dull pain feeling in my inner ear. There are a few sporadic small white spots on the back sides of my mouth. The dr tested me for strep infection and it came back negative. He told me it was a viral infection and to increase fluids. Ive never experienced anything like this in my 26 years. I am a closet smoker. And I worry about cancer. When should I be worried that it could be? And any advice to speed up the healing process of viral infection if it is indeed viral?

Welcome and thanks for your question,do not worry,at your age,the possibility of this being cancer is extremely extremely low.

In most cases,cancer produces additional symptoms like breathing difficulty, hoarseness,trouble swallowing or on the other side the tonsils swelling last longer than 6 weeks .

So right now ,like your doctor said this is probably a viral infection and nothing else. If the swelling does not go away,consult your doctor again,he will prescribe you antibiotics.

If the swelling continues after taking antibiotics ,your doctor will perform additional image tests and a biopsy if it is necessary. But I am sure this is not your case,so you do no need to worry about this .What you can do is taking plenty of fluids ,drink hot soups adding a pinch of black pepper or make a tea with water,honey,ginger and lemon . Drink that tea 2-3 times per day , you will feel better and it will speed up the the healing process.

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.