Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

hello, i wanted to ask that can a diabetic person with neuropathy

hello,

i wanted to ask that can a diabetic person with neuropathy use a heating pad ?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

It is actually not recommended for people with neuropathy because the person cannot tell how warm/hot the area is getting. I have seen patients come into the ER with burns because they fell asleep with the heating pad on the area and the burning did not wake them up because they didn't feel it. Also, even if someone with normal sensation feels the pad first and monitors the pad on the other patient with the neuropathy, it is still not recommended because you cannot get accurate feedback on how hot the pad feels to the other person (the one with the neuropathy). Long story short - it is just not a good idea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what do you recommend for relieving extreme pain?

if not heating pad

A warm shower is fine. Also, if there is any medication the person can take that is not contraindicated...like perhaps some Advil or Tylenol or any other medication that they have been given for pain (if any). Also, the topical rubs are great for these types of patients. They only warm up so much and stop and they don't have the potential to give 1st and 2nd degree burns (or worse). Topical Lidocaine is good for people with pain with neuropathy but it's available via prescription only but it's an option if nothing else works for them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You :)

Thank you! XXXXX can help you again, just address your question to me. It was a pleasure helping you this evening.