Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

When I get angry, or whenever it seems my blood pressure is

When I get angry, or whenever it seems my blood pressure is elevated, i get numbness on right side of face and arm. I also experience dizziness & shortness of breath to the point where I almost pass out. I went to ER a few months back. They did chest xray, bloodwork, ekg, and cat scan. They said everything was normal. However i am still experiencing symptoms under exertion and/or stress. The other day I was laughing(not hysterically) and almost passed out. Should I get second opinion? Are these possibly TIA's or just panic attacks?
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

This sounds like hyperventilation which causes a rapid low level of carbon dioxide in the body. Low carbon dioxide levels eventually lead to narrowing of the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. This reduction in blood supply to the brain leads to symptoms like being lightheaded and tingling in the fingers. Severe hyperventilation can lead to loss of consciousness.

medtech254 :

This would be the case in both getting angry and the laughing episode you describe.

medtech254 :

The symptoms you describe would not indicate a tia although the hyperventilation can be related to panic attacks.

Customer:

I also feel symptoms after hard workouts. Could this be hyperventilation as well? Is vasovagal a possibility?

medtech254 :

This would be in line with hyperventilation as well and would apply in all the scenarios you describe. If it were vasovagal normally you would feel VERY hot (flush) and rinninging in the ears alone with the other symptoms of hyperventilation.

medtech254 :

So that is not likely the cause of your symptoms.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you very much for your time.

medtech254 :

Thank you! If you need any additional information just come back to this page.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.