Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have a prescription for Naltrexone to treat alcohol addiction.

Customer Question

I have a prescription for Naltrexone to treat alcohol addiction. I started taking it in inpatient treatment in October of 2012. I believe this was about 2 weeks after stopping drinking. Unfortunately, I relapsed in November and have been drinking on on off since then. So, I stopped taking it. I have now again stopped as of 12/30/12 (4 days ago), and have re-committed to staying sober. My question is, when is it safe for me to begin taking Naltrexone again? I have not and do not take any other narcotics (including opiods).
Thank You.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question,this medication should always be taken under strict medical supervision .

As long as you are not taking or have been taking any opioid, cough ,diarrhea, anxiety,depression or pain medication for the last 10 days , you can begin taking Naltrexone .

Usually the first dose you take will be 25 milligrams equivalent to one half tablet,after that the dose is usually one tablet ( 50milligrams ) per day.

When you take naltrexone,it is important to contact your primary physician regularly to monitor any adverse side effects you could experience while you are taking the medication,he will also draw blood tests from time to time to monitor your drug blood levels .

If you experience any severe side effects like blurred vision,hallucinations,dizziness,drowsiness,confusion, vomiting or diarrhea ,You must go to to the emergency IMMEDIATELY.

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your relpy, Dr. German. Do you know about how long after taking each pill this medication is most effective for dealing with craving for alcohol? Once I have reached ten days of sobriety and start taking it again, I want to have the maximum benefit. I was a drinker who usually began drinking at around 6:00 PM. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
With naltrexone,studies have shown it begins to be effective from the first dose .

However,to be more effective or have a maximum benefit,the treatment should be taken for a period of 12 weeks or more .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What I am trying to decide is what time of day I should take the pill given that I want the cravings controlled at the drug's peak potential near the time when I have cravings - 6:00 PM. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Most patients feel better around 15 minutes after taking Naltrexone , in your case, it would be good tp take it from 5:45 to 6:00 .

However , you should consult your doctor first.