Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Black splinter like specks under my finger nails

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Black specks under the fingernails could be the result of a fungal infection or possibly other illnesses such as endocarditis (splinter like hemorrhages that run in the direction of the nail growth), systemic lupus erythematosus, trichinosis, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, trauma, psoritiatic nails, and antiphospholipid condition. To determine the difference, blood tests and physical exam will be needed.

Let me know if you have any other symptoms or other medical conditions other than just the black splinter like specks.