MDPhD here to help
MDPhD here to help, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
20314402

How to find new pain Dr after a failed test.

Customer Question

after 10 or more years of pain clinics, 1 1/2 year at present one, because I moved from Texas to Ga, and now I find myself without a clinic. I have a very bad disc at L4-5 which has been told by surgeon that its too far gone to operate. I have a hernia, a failed discectomy at C6-7, thoracic outlet syndrome with rib resection surgery , arthritis and hypothyroidism . I have now failed my first drug test. Over last 3 months they have switched me from methadone to morphine to Oxycontin. The methadone works but he never liked it and was always pushing me to change it, so they tried me on morphine which drugged me too much so then Oxycontin. I go to school full time and now take care of roommate who is paraplegic. I felt the oxy was speeding me and wasnt helping , but with thyroid I wasnt sure if it was oxy or thyroid again. So while on thanksgiving I stopped the oxy for a few days and tried the methadone, and then maybe the morphine , one pill, once. All of this was my medicine from them. Went to Dr two days later , had test and it showed up. So i tried to explain this too him and he said I had broken contract and that was that. So my question is what now? How do I find another Dr that will help me? Do I tell them I have failed a test or not? I am in constant pain and trying to go to school, but I am not an addict. I write down every pill and time I take so I dont over take it.

Category: Health
Expert:  MDPhD here to help replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain. Unfortunately because narcotics are highly restricted, a doctor can lose his/her license from prescribing to someone who demonstrates that they are not being taken as prescribed. I understand exactly what you mentioned and being truthful with your doctor is the only way to continue an open relationship and get a "second chance." This is what I would recommend - discussing exactly what you took and when and agreeing to participate in the plan of care. Some doctors have a zero tolerance policy and may not continue prescribing as long as the contract was broken once.

If you do start with a new doctor, you may explain what happened in the past and what works for you and what does not.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Best of luck seeking relief of your pain.

DM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I tell new doctor upfront that I failed a test? Or wait to see if they request the records. I really didn't like the treatment I was receiving from this clinic but only one within 60 miles. They kept pushing a radiopathy procedure(nerve burning) without the test or current mri, after surgeon said it was past the point of help. They wanted me to drive 2 hours to Atlanta for this procedure without having anyone who could drive me home. And were treating me based on the wrong MRI report. I had to bring in the actual CD because the report they had said there was nothing wrong. If I wanted to abuse drugs, I would have stayed on the Morphine and not tried to give it back to them. I cant believe this has happened.

Hello and thank you for your question. If they request to see all the information, then yes, explain it. If not, you may wish to start fresh and be sure to abide by their specifications.
I hope you are successful in seeking new care and please let me know if you have more questions.
DM