Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, I have a question about the necessity to repeat an abdominal

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about the necessity to repeat an abdominal scan I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis on Dec 13 2012. I was given CIPRO and then asked to schedule another CT scan again to "ensure the infection" was gone. My question is, if symptoms are considerably improved, and I finished CIPRO on the 25th, is it necessary to repeat the CAT scan and subject myself to more radiation?
Edit
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good question--may I ask what the first scan showed exactly and what you mean by the symptoms have improved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Chip. It showed diverticulitis lower left quadrant and what they called colitis in the upper left quadrant. I was having abdominal cramping, diarrhea, mucus in my stools, and slight fever. I had a ton of lab work done on 11-27-2012 all showing normal. I had repeated lab work done on 12-12-12 showing elevated WBC at 14000 showing signs of infection which prompted the CT SCAN.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK-- and how are you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no more music in stools, no more cramping, stools are more solid and better formed but a little flat which is common from IBS and divertic, I have no fever chills or lethargy. I do have a very slight intermittent tension, not pain in the upper to middle left quadrant , that comes and goes, but no where near what I was experiencing before. My concern is the radiation that I feel can be avoided if symptoms are improved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's mucus in stools...not mucus.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. I personally wouldn't order another ct at this time. Only if you developed fever and increasing abdominal pain. There really is no reason for the second scan so long as you're better--only if an abscess or--much less likely--a perforation were suspected. You should have a colonoscopy however in the near future after all the symptoms have resolved just to get a better idea of the extent of your diverticulae and to rule out any other inflammatory bowel disorder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and would you expect as the colon heals to have some intermittent tension or pain as my body adjusts to fiber and regular foods? Been following additives BRAT diet for some time now, just started adding in fiberous veggies and eating as clean as possible. No diary, staying away from gluten and any other possible irritants. I've read that the colon can take up to a month or two to properly heal and comety reduce the inflammation.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a little cramping and change in bowel movements is normal for the first two or three weeks. Sometimes it might take a month to fully resolve
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...good to know and I feel better because two CT SCANS seemed excessive.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I fully agree in your case