Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a female foreign student visting me in AZ. She is going

Customer Question

I have a female foreign student visting me in AZ. She is going to school in FL. She has no health INS. But is having very bad back pain around the kideny area. She is also not going to the bathroom and is taking laxatives. She has gone to the bathroom on Saturday 29th and she has been with me sense Dec 22nd. She is afaid to go to the hosptail.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

The fact hasn't had a bowel movement since December the 29th is not very alarming. That is only 3 days and some folks only go to the restroom for bowel movements 1-2 times per week and this is normal for them. The part that is not normal is that she is having pain and also being described as 'very bad' back pain. I would have to lean towards a possible kidney stone rather than an intestinal issue. Unfortunately, she will need medical evaluation and care for this. There is nothing she can do at home for the pain other than over the counter medications like Advil or Tylenol and for the possible constipation, the laxatives. So, it sounds as though she is doing / has done all that can be done at home. The ER will see her without any insurance....they can't turn anyone away just because they are not covered by an insurance company, so encourage her to go and be seen. Her pain may only get much worse.

Reply back if I can answer any other related questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her pain is coming and going but it gets so bad she can't stand up on lay down.

oh goodness, I would recommend that she be took to the ER right away. Or if you can't drive her, possibly an ambulance can take her. Sounds more like a kidney stone but she surely needs to be checked out asap.