Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

For Dr. Chip, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hope yours is off t5o a good

For Dr. Chip, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hope yours is off t5o a good start. The stress of in-laws was not an issue for me as our colds became worse and kept us home. So that was good. However, the cold went to my chest is tseems and normallhy I would take Robitussisn or Mucinex but since I am allergic to so many things I am normally not since this ll started and didn't want to end up in ER on a holiday so I sat by steam on the stove and a little vapor rub. No interaction with other meds normally?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What are your symptoms and are you still hanging on the ledge of the fiscal cliff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No more hanging on that cliff:) Looks a little painful but could be worse I guess. Figured you'd be pretty happy about the "deal" or are you? Let me have it.

I have congestion on the right side of my chest but it is better during the day.

Did have some of the strange symptoms recur yesterday. Thought maybe I had become allergic to the V-C or getting too much iron as my mouth again had this weird feel to it - something not right. I checked the date and it was the 20th day of cycle so thought maybe it was that estrogen spike again or perhaps my adrenals not being able to balance electrolytes or something (If they do that, I don't know?) due to the stress of my bad cold. Perhaps that is out there a bit? Mouth feels a little more normal now after I used my hormone today. I have never heard of menopause affecting anyone like this. Can't wait til it is over someday but I have had some normal days and now have major hope so I am hanging on a different metaphorical cliff I guess.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
All the bozos in Congress did was go half way and there's a lot more wrangling to come. Wile Y Coyote just sidestepped the boulder for now. Sorry--what's V-C?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You sound like my dad.

Anyway, V-C is very short-sorry for Vitamin C.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--and what exactly was going on with your mouth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was similar to one of the very first symptoms I ever had with this whole thing. At first I think when I wnet to DR. I called it a dry mouth, sort of like dehydratede but not exactly. I am drinking so much water that I knew that couldn't be it. Then I rmembered you once asked me if I was getting any salt when I was drinking so much water and it helped that time so I tried that and it did seem to help a little. I guess the best way I could describe it is that the biochemistry of my mout is off. Way back I couldn't even use listerine in my mouth as it felt so weird. Later-after using the hormone - I tried and used it without such symptoms.

Also another seemingly odd thing but an old factory injury- repitious motion injury is now much better than it used to be. I picked up this case of water the other day and it didn't hurt like it normally used to. I have had pain in my scapula from pulling wires at the factory for over twenty years!!!! Can it be or what?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, I really can't speak to the old injury being better and I can't be sure what's up with your mouth. I see no problem with the Robitussin or Mucinex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. And so I know for the future, progesterone cream doesn't interact with other meds, then right?

You know doc, starting to wonder if I shouldn't have just taken the oral HRT but who is to say that wouldn't cause other symptoms, right?. And they have more risk and since I am pretty young and all or at least I see myself that way. I think I'll just stay the course. At least things are going in the right direction.

As far as the chest congestion, what indicates a bigger problem? Difficulty breathing, what else?

What are you looking forward to in the new year?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--no interaction with the other meds. The bioidentical hormone is fine. For a chest cold, cough productive of non-clear sputum, high fever, wheezing. As for the New Year, I'm looking forward to a Chesapeake Bay 8 on the Richter scale earthquake with a subsequent tsunami that completely engulfs Capitol Hill while Congress is in full session and every congresssman and senator are physically in the Capitol building.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ha! Now Dr. Chip, you know if that occurred you would rush in to save everyone of them -some repubs first if their injuries required it:)

I try to remember how hard it is not to abuse power and try to think of when I wasn't nice to my dog, you know? Then I don't feel quite as much injustice when I see it and figure perhaps that is for the next life:) Try it. Of course you probably were nice to your dog but anyway you get the idea! Take Care Doc Chip and Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure again
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Do you know if the medical community ever tried adrenal steroids for just menopausal women? If not, why not?

How are you doing today? Is it the debt ceiling not being dealt with or the medicare system not being addressed that concerns you more? Or is it just what appears to be the priorities of our Congress? Concern with being reelected and not the good of the people that bothers you most? I want to be a responsible citizen and all and we should all be aware of what is happening. Was shocked to hear about the behavior of our so called leaders and the name calling occrurance that I try to teach my children is just not classy so what do you think Dr. Chip?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
By adrenal steroids you mean cortisone and prednisone and the like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, yes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Interesting question but no, without real evidence for adrenal failure--truly abnormally low cortisol levels, there'd be no indication for those just to treat menopause. As for Congress--they have been out of touch with the common man/woman for years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Can't help but wonder if the the steroid might help women like me with the transition. Probably some risk with it but if I understand medicine at all, it's all about benefit outweighing the risk and do wonder about it.

Yes, Congress is out of touch. Strange how both sides can feel so sure that they are doing the right thing for the right reasons. God help us all. Have a good day Dr. Chip. Thanks for being there as Dr. and friend. Take Care.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
True about the risk/benefit but any long term use of prednisone would bring out the risk of diabetes, osetoporosis, hypertension, weight gain--more risks that the benefits would be worth. Later, then, my friend. and maybe the Chesapeake Bay will still rise up
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Recieved an overuse notice again so trying to only ask when I really need to and also keeping in mind all those with the flu who may need your answers more than me right now. Have missed visiting and wondering how you are and what you think of all the new Capital Hill nominations.

I am on my first day off the hormone today. Yesterday was day 28. Feeling a little moody but mostly okay right now. However one day can be very different from the next it seems.

Wondering if my family already had the flu or what exactly distinguishes it from other viruses. How do Drs. determine? I remember you mentioned that you had the flu. Was it worse than years prior?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
This year's flu season is peaking early but the mutant strain seems to be very susceptible to the vaccine this year. As for distinguishing it from other similar viruses, that takes getting a culture ( and culture is not a republican trait). Otherwise, the course of any viral illness is much the same regardless of the virus and takes about a week to ten days. Seen any movies lately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no new movies lately but many are on my wish list. I used to be one of those people who sees the new release the first day and now I am lucky to see them before they are out of the theatre. I have always wanted to do a movie marathon day where I just go to movies all day long. One day when everyone's schedule allows I am going to treat myself by doing just that. My friends are shocked that I don't mind going to movies or even lunch all by myself but I really don't mind it.

My daughter's show choir competition was last weekend. Have you ever been? It is great entertainment and inexpensive. The 4A schools are really great. The talent is amazing. My daughter's group did well and she was happy so that was nice. It is midwest broadway for me. Do the schools in Floriday offer Show Choir?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about that--have to check it out. I was first tenor in college glee club
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cool. There are still treasures to find and appreciate in the world. Show Choir has really upped it's game. You would not believe how hard these kids work. My daughter has to be there before 7 in the morning may cold and dark mornings. They learn leadership skills and group dynamics and everything:) Today she told me she is as planned majoring in mass communication. It is a field in flux but I am sure there is some place to learn and grow and maybe a great opportunity. I have to try to model the positive attitude you know even while I am menopausal but actually she is a wonderful writer and I whatever she does with her gifts, the world will be a better place for it. I just hope it offers some security. Of course, what job has that anymore? Perhaps security is an illusion anyway. Oops, that must be peri- menopause talking again. Does life ever get easy?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Control is certainly an illusion. Maybe the US congress should start a Show Choir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good idea! I have always thought they should build a Disney World in the middle east so that the terrorists could experience joy and not want to kill us anymore. Nice to think that way, huh? Goodnight, Doc. Thanks for "chatting!"

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Later then
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Well, it looks like I did actually skip a period this time. It is the 7th day off the hormone so do I count tomorrow as day 8 and start the hormone again as though I did have a menstruation even though I did not? Is it likelyt to start on an odd day now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not surprised about the period irregularity but you need to start the prednisone as usual tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Shall do. Will it likely come after I stop next time or is it just a totol crap shoot? I am a bit scared- not knowing what to expect. Where is the "What to expect when you are menopausal book?" Myabe I will have to write it??? or you. Not a bad idea, huh?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Total crap shoot, like gun control and debt ceiling in Congress. I'll start the mega opus tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the truth-what I appreciate! Mega opus-sounds exciting! How mega? if you have time to chat, if not I will hope to talk another day.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay--let me know when you're back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, I am back on. I fall to sleep almost as soon as it gets dark these days- must have something to do with menopause as I never did that before and it has become a huge family joke, in good fun. I also wake up very early and of course rountine takes over for awhile.

Used the progesterone today and am feeling okay for the most part. Actually thinking I might be feeling a little better in general but scared to hope it will last. The news still gets to me a bit and I still prefer the HallXXXXX XXXXXnel but not as much as before and maybe that has less to do with menopause and more to do with social responsibility. The sun is out today and I can tell it really does make a difference for me anyway.
How was choir?

I did not know the joy of it (just listening) until my daugher joined hers and it has become one of my favorite things in life.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The choir?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, her Show Choir. In fact, when the competiition season is over it feels to me like the let down many people report after Christmas. They have costume changes and sing these incredibly inspirational -sometimes Christian songs that are very uplifting.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--I haven't been to one of those as yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, One of the first times I went I was so impressed with how much good clean fun these kids were having without alcohol, etc. At this one competion, the kids had the audience including me singing and waving. Some groups do a cheer. It is an experience. Of course there were so many people I did feel there was a crowd control issue and think they need to keep people out of the aisles, etc. Now after the news I worry about other things as well but try to focus on the good stuff:) Getting crazy out there Dr. Chip or does it feel that way to you? Is it me and my menopause?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not any crazier than before but I never watch local news--nothing for me and always about crimes and accidents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, I hear you. Lots of good things happening, too but we just don't hear much about those and they say no one would watch news like that but I would.

So when you skip a mestruation period, is that from a lack of prosterone ( which I am replacing some as you know) or lack of estrogen or what? Does it mean the lining did not get to a certain point? Does it mean I am closer to it being done with this thing? I thought the progesterone I am taking is delaying menopause so why would I skip? Confused.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's mostly lack of progesterone or at least less activity on the uterine lining by the progesterone. So one skipped period doesn't say too much but if that persisted, then, yes you'd be nearly done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, please let it be. I guess only time will tell.

What is new with you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Piano mostly--working on a Chopin Ballade--hellish but so beautiful and full of mood changes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Sounds challenging. Sounds like life:) What would a song or painting be without contrast ? Thank goodness the light and high notes are part of the deal:)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Beethovens works--especially the piano sonotas and the symphonies--begin in darkness and gradually morph into the light--like a hero's struggle and final victory. The Fifth Symphony begins with da da da DA in /c minor and then the fourth movement bursts out in C major like a joyous hymn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Not many composers are women, right? or there would be a piece called Menopause.
Wow, I can't think of one woman composer. Never thought of that before. Yikes and is that left brain or right brain stuff? Left, correct? I am just realizing then that you are quite special as you have mastered much with the logical right brain as Dr. and have accessed talent in the left brain with music as well. Really cool!

I need to work on both sides I think, especially now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Clara Schumann was both composer and pianist but she had it worse than menopause--Robert, her husband, was schizophrenic and would break his hands in an attempt to be able to play the piano with more dexterity. In the time of most of the great composers women didn't have much say or the ability to show their talents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Thanks for the perspective. I will try to keep it. There are almost always so many simultaneous variables occurring at one time that we should all consider all the time before we rush to any judgement about anything. The more I know, the more I know I don't know anything you know? Have to go now Enjoy those keys:) Take Care!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Take care til next time

Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)