Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My thyroid was recently checked, here are the results - TSH

My thyroid was recently checked, here are the results - TSH 5.84, T3 = 33, T4 Free, Direct = 1.23 The TSH is reading HIGH based on the 4.500 being the top of the normal range. I took thyroid suppliment for 10 years, when during a period of stress, tests showed I was slightly Hypo/Low. I had a test for - I forget, the disease that affects the thyroid, and it was negative. I stopped the thyroxine about a year or more ago and 6 months later tested absolutely normal, mid range for all aspects, Tsh, t3, t4. What does this current result mean- my body is working a bit harder to make thyroid hormones? Why would that be, what could cause it? I am not sure I have had much food with iodine lately. I dont have much salt and found the salt we had was non iodized and dont eat junk or pre-made food normally. I have been under stress. I probably need to drink more water. And I have been quite inactive lately. Thank you.
HI--basically the elevated TSH indicates that you are hypothyroid and your low T3 level also confirms that. As for what causes this, it sounds like you were tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis and found not to have that, but often the thyroid just weakens for no specific reason. Based on your numbers, I think you need to be placed back on thryoid supplementation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Thanks. Could you explain what the TSH and T3 are, I know the TSH stimulates the body to make the hormones, but what is the T3 function. So the body is struggling to keep the thyroid levels steady?

TSH--thyroid stimulating hormone--is secreted by the pituitary gland and when the thyroid is low functioning that number rises. In essence, the pituitary is saying, come on thyroid gland, get to work, T3 is the active form of the thyroid hormone. When the T3 gets low, then the hypothyroid symptoms like fatigue, brittle hair and nails, hair loss, unintentional weight gain, etc. occur