Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) - can you help with this?

Hi. I have a question about my knees. The inside - the part which touches the other knee, protrudes when i am standing, about the size of an egg, r. It happens on both knees, but more on the left. It started becoming noticeable in the past 4 months. My feet over the years have developed bunions. I have been much more inactive in the past 6 months than previously (due to ptsd as a result of domestic abutse-) I lost too much weight too fast over last 6 months. im 135, 5 foot 8, 48

Hello Lori,

Are the protrusions soft or hard?
Are the painful or tender?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. It is soft tissue, not tender at all. My muscle mass I think has decreased somewhat in the last 6 months or so.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wait, I just felt it and it seems to be hard, maybe bone, but most of the protrusion is like a fat layer on top.

Like when I am sitting down, the fatty tissue has shifted and when I stand the fatty tissue hangs/accumulates at the inside knee area. But under the fat is a harder mass. Maybe it is the bone that has always been there and the decreased muscle makes it show more.?

Hello Lori,

Your description suggest it to be protrusion of the subcutaneous fat (fat underneath skin), which shows on standing and disappear on sitting. The weight loss you have experience and decrease of the muscle mass may be responsible for it (the stretched skin when you had normal weight has not completely shrunken and subcutaneous fat fills up the sagging skin on standing). This can be confirmed by an ultrasound. The other possibility is a bursa getting prominent on standing. Bursa are fluid filled structures which help in the smooth movements of the tendons. Usually no treatment is required as they resolve on their own.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I tried to reply and dont know what happened. I wanted to say thank you. and also ask one last thing and then will be finished! Do you think toning exercises will help strengthen and tighten the legs in general and can that also strengthen the knees making them less vulnerable. Thank you so much for your patience and help!

You are very welcome, Lori.

The toning exercises would be definitely helpful tighten the legs and strengthen the knees. Thus exercises are strongly suggested.

It is privilege assisting you.