Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have been having problems with seeing things in my field

Customer Question

I have been having problems with seeing things in my field of vision that are not really there. They usually enter it from the right hand side. THis affects both eyes. It is painful. I see clear things that blur my vision and make me dizzy, to the point where I actually need to sit down. these episodes may or may not contain tiny spots of colors. It happens about once a month.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

I see you selected 'no' regarding seeing a Dr about I am going to say it's safe to assume you have not had a recent eye exam. In this case, what you could be seeing is called floaters or even symptoms of a retinal detachment or Posterior vitreous (which Posterior vitreous detachments are more common that retinal detachments). Even if this is not a true detachment, Photopsia is when a patient sees flashes of light and this is usually the beginning of a detachment of some sort. All are very serious and can lead to blindness. I would not wait on getting an eye exam.

Other conditions to consider are Glaucoma, hypertension (high blood pressure), migraine headaches, or even impending stroke.

Any flashing light or visual disturbance that lasts more than twenty to forty minutes is considered an ocular emergency and requires immediate medical attention.
Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions or can assist with anything else.

******This expert will not be paid for their time/efforts unless you click Accept. Funds are not automatically transferred to this expert. Click “Reply” if you need additional information.