Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a bet. In the 1960s when I was a teenager I was in

I have a bet. In the 1960's when I was a teenager I was in the hospital and told I was getting a sedative. The nurse gave me an injection in my behind.
A nurse told me that sedatives are given by tablet orally and that I must be mistaken.
Who's right?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

You are correct. Sedatives can be given orally, IM injection (shot in the butt, arm, leg, etc), sublingual (under the tongue), IV, you name it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So do you think the likelihood of my sedative being an injection is correct?

Yes, it is quite possible and most likely was injection as it works must faster. Oral sedatives work much slower and if you were an anxious teenager needing a sedative, I'm sure they weren't wanting to sit around waiting for an oral tablet to work. The injection form (IM) is much faster and more applicable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I contact you personally in the future? Of course I will pay you for your expertise. Thank you you Nurse Milli

Hi Stephen, yes that would be great, just address your question to me in the question line and I should be able to get it.

Interesting question today!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I won the bet! Maybe today they do more orally and in the 60's they did more injections?

How do I give you a testimonial?

Depending on the situation, oral could be given but it would really depend on how fast the medication is needed to work. The route of drugs have not changed that much since 1960...injection works much faster than oral, so I'm not sure where the thought process comes from that the sedatives are only given orally.

I believe you will be given the ability to leave positive feedback once you accept the answer....or you can send in a testimony [email protected] I believe (if that's not the exact correct email address, they can forward it to the appropriate place).