Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I added some photos on the snapfish account of the foot biopsy

Customer Question

I added some photos on the snapfish account of the foot biopsy site. So everything under the red part was skin that had been removed correct? So there couldn't be any cancer growing underneath? Or would the redness spread to an area that did not have skin removed?

There is also a hair on my foot I took a picture of that is causing a mild amount of pain for some reason
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I see nothing abnormal about the hair or the skin surrounding it. Yes, all the redness was just from the biopsy and there isn't any cancer growing underneath for two reasons--it isn't there visibly and again the biopsy was clean--cancer free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is all that redness scar tissue? And cancer can't grow in scar tissue?
Or would some of that red area be the skin from around the skin that had been removed that was pulled in together? Or is it the scar tissue connecting the skin?

Would you be able to see a cancer in the redness tho?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
All the redness is scar tissue and a little inflammation left behind. The red area is all just the biopsy site and yes I would be able to see cancer in that area if it were there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but the red area is just scar tissue that is inflamed or is some of it normal skin that is inflamed?
But you definitely would be able to see cancer in the inflamed skin? What if it was a red melanoma tho?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I just told you that--yes the red area is just scar tissue with some inflammation. And I would be able to tell and there is no red melanoma there. Now either let it go or get another, wider biopsy to prove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know but I'm confused by your wording, which I'm sure is my fault but I still want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Everything that is red is scar tissue correct? There is no skin that is red? And melanoma absolutely cannot grow in scar tissue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's all scar tissue--no normal red skin. And as I told you before--melanoma can't arise in scar tissue--it isn't the normal dermis that contains the melanoma prone cells
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When they put in stitches into the normal tissue and attach it to normal tissue on the other side is there anyway the stitching could ever hide normal tissue in scar tissue?

I meet with my new therapist at 230 tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, that never happens. Good luck with the therapist tomorrow--I suggest you arrive with questions and comments already written down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm going prepared. There is no way the stitching itself, after it is removed, would do something that would make it harder to see a melanoma? Do the holes that has stitches through it in the skin develop scar tissue or regular regeneration healing? Like is scar tissue only created as the connective tissue between the two separated parts of skin?
I'm just worried that the little hooded created by the needle in the act of stitching could create scar tissue that would make it harder to see a melanoma growing underneath
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, the suture removal would never alter the skin in such a way that it would be harder to see a melanoma. Regular regeneration occurs where the sutures were and scar tissue only occurs at and around where the skin edges are brought together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the scar tissue where the edges are brought together never overlaps regular skin at any point in the healing process?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--scar tissue is all one area of scar tissue and it doesn't overlap regular skin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a melanoma was to be removed from someone's skin by gauging how long would the wound be there for? 3 or 4 days at least?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
At least that long and more like a week or more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about if they just got the visible part out of a very superficial melanoma. Still about a week?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure? Because on e you said it might only leave a scrape or a cut which would only be visible for a couple of days. But perhaps I misunderstood
So if I pulled out a mark from my backside and tht took out all of the visible part of a melanoma that wound would for sure be visible for at least one week?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, if we're talking about complete healing back to normal skin that would still take a week or longer. The rawness of a scrape or gouge might only last a few days. But you're starting to get paranoid again--until you get a grip, every time you scratch or cut or whatever yourself you're going to think you may have removed a melanoma
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But a doctor would still notice the wound anytime leading up to when it has returned to normal skin even if it is no longer raw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a nodular melanoma be particularly difficult to pick away? Would a nodular melanoma never be her superficial?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be hard to pick away and of course you'd be able to see it before you picked it away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But would a nodular melanoma be harder to pick away than a regular one?

Any luck finding something that shows conclusively that invisible cancer cells left over after the visible tumor is removed would need to re grow a visible tumor before if metastisizes?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Harder, yes. I promise that as soon as I can find just the right article for your question I'll let you know. With your OCD it's a bit harder than on average because it has to be so specific. Let's close this page for now please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never answered this question from above:

You replied
Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:23 PM EST

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--but I was blocked off the page for a while when you asked that question. Yes a doctor would still notice the wound
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I was to scrape away a melanoma I have at least one week for a doctor to check it out?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
At least, yes