Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Has anyone had any experience with

Customer Question

Has anyone had any experience with Klonopin not showing up on urine test? I take 1mg 3x a day and it won't show up despite me never missing a dose. In fact I went to the hospital and on the way there took 1 mg and had a urine test a few hours later and it was negative ( I had no idea I had had a urine test as I collapsed and my family I guess assumed I had an anxiety attack and gave me my meds and I went to ER just in case) it wasn't until some time later that I went to get my medical records and saw the tests. I never miss a dose yet it shows up negative. I also take birth control pills (for periods) and a beta blocker. I Also take a multivitamin and a fish oil pill. I'm just wondering if this is normal, seroius or anything wrong with me etc.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi--actually klonopin is well know not to show up on most routing drug screens. It would take a gas chromography/mass spectrometry test to detect it in those cases. Here's an article that discusses this--you'll have to scroll down to the Clonazepam and Lorazepam section.

http://www.nysam-asam.org/storage/Advance%20Urine%20Toxicology%20Testing%20Article.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Only problem is,I think they used GS/CM is that what you are referring to? I never miss a dose so I'm confused?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Even with the GS/MS test, the results can be negative in a lot of cases unless the patient were on a high dose of klonipin. There's no indication here that there is something different about your body and it's metabolism.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is 3mg a day a high dose? I will double check my labs but I'm almost certain that was the test and it gave creatine level I want to say of 17 but wasn't flagged. All I know when I called to see about my bloodwork the nurse asked me if I was taking my meds ect and that got me worried? If they are concerned I'm not taking it when I am it has me worried something is wrong etc,
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No that's a moderate dose. Still, nothing wrong--this is all just a lab problem and nothing to do with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mean a lab error? The strange thing is that I had this test while I was in the hospital taking it and it didnt show up on the gsmc either, thats twice? here is the cuttoffs, and my creatine was 17, all negative on the tests, but here are the cuttoffs.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not so much lab error as just the klonopin wasn't detectable. There isn't this problem with other benzodiazepines.