Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have 4 blister like spots on my hands. One i have had for

Customer Question

I have 4 blister like spots on my hands. One i have had for a couple years and is the largest of the 4 there had been no change in it. The other three are more recent....Oct 2012 while in hospital. Three are on my right hand, one on my left. The one on my left hand had two sliver looking brown spots. I picked at it a bit and one came off. The other looked like it started to wiggle atoms. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

yes would like to chat about it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any itching?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have itching on these vesicles?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry about that had to restart my phone...i couldnt type

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no itching, however the older one does hurt a bit at times

It appears you are suffering from Hand Eczema.

It is likely to be Pompholyx (dyshidrotic eczema, vesicular hand eczema).

The exact cause of Eczema is not known, but it is believed to be an immunological disease. These episodes are believed to be set off by some irritant contact, like rubber in some people, but rarely is such an irritating agent found. In most cases, like in yours, the eczema attacks appear to be set off spontaneously. Sweat retention is also believed to be an irritant in many. Still, you must try to analyse whether there is anything which sets off these attacks.

The mode of treatment is:
Steroid Ointments: These are sometimes combined with antibiotic ointments. you can OTC preparations like 1% hydrocortisone or higher strength prescription steroid ointments.

Emollients: In case of dry skin, massaging an emollient such as a hand cream is useful in dry skin.

Avoiding the irritant
: If some irritant can be identified, then it should be avoided.

In severe cases:

Ultraviolet rays: PUVA treatment with ultraviolet rays can be givne for this.

Grenz Ray therapy: this is another form of light therapy which is very effective.

You should consult a dermatologist for this. This will give you a firm diagnosis and also you will be able to get prescription drugs. Till then, you can try out these OTC medicines. You should also discuss about light therapy with him.

Do ask if you have any more questions.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont know.....the biggest,oldest one is hard the other three are soft and not very big. the one that had the brown specs now has a red ring around it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well the other three are softer than the big one i should say

The mode of treatment is:

Avoiding the irritant

In severe cases:

Do ask if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont have have flaking itchy red skin on my hands nor are they cracking. i just looked up hand eczema....i have blisters if that is even what they are

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have had ghe one for a couple years at least the others for a couple months

There are many forms of hand eczema, pompholyx causes blisters or vesicles.

These blisters are likely to be pompholyx. They are common on the hand.

See a dermatologist for this.

FOr now, try the steroid ointment and emollients. This will help.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but tobe a true blister wouldnt thete need to befluid in them these do not have any . they arenot as soft as blisters

Ok, but you mentioned in your initial post that you had four blisters on your hand.

Can you describe how these lumps look like then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they look like blisters in a way but i suppose bumps might be a bettet word...the smaller ones are softer than theone i have had for years though does have a firmness to them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lighter incolr than my skin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not very big

There are several causes of such bumps:

Palmar warts: viral infection of the hands can cause a conditon called palmar warts with numerous small growths on the hand.

Dermatofibroma: these could also be dermatofibromas, a benign bump formed by excess fibrous tissues under the skin.

Clumps of sebaceous glands: These could simply be normal sebaceous glands which have enlarged due to blockage of their outlets.

Palmar warts are most likely for you.

i would suggest that you consult a dermatologist for this. This should give you a firm diagnosis. Since they are so small and flesh coloured, they are most likely to be enalrged clumps of sebaceous glands.

Do ask if you have any more questions.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no more questions