Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a lump on my upper leg. How can I tell if it is cancer?

I have a lump on my upper leg. How can I tell if it is cancer? It is not painful. It is right at the spot where I carry my wallet every day.
How long has it been there, how large is it, and is it soft or hard, movable or fixed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was there for a couple months then disappearred and came back recently. It is hard and unmoveable. It is about the size of a dime.
Does is seem to be just under the skin or deeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just under the skin

OK. If it truly came and went and reappeared it wouldn't be cancer, and if it's only been going on for such a short time, that isn't typical of the way cancer acts. It's more likely a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma--a benign overgrowth of fat cells. Of course, the best thing to do is just have a doctor look at this.