Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

Are commercial frozen organic strawberries prewashed? I am

Are commercial frozen organic strawberries prewashed? I am pregnant. I put them in a bowl, rinsed with cold water and drained the water. Not sure that was a good way to clean. I worry about listeria. Should I be concerned that I may have contracted it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello. It is highly unlikely that you were exposed to the Listeria organism from eating frozen organic strawberries. Listeriosis, the disease caused by the Listeria organism, is a rare condition which can occur from eating contaminated foods such as unpasteurized dairy products and improperly prepared deli meats. If you rinsed the strawberries in cold water, that sounds sufficient to clean away any possible contaminants. If you have not developed any symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea recently, then you should not be concerned. Dr. David