Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had blood work done and my Alkaline Phosphatase was at 154

I had blood work done and my Alkaline Phosphatase was at 154 unit/L and my CO2 was at 32 mmol/L. I am on Levothyroxin 125mcg daily. Should I be worried. I have not been feeling well and was told I may be fighting some virus that is out there.

What were the symptoms for which these investigations were done?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am tired all the time, nausea, sweating, and headaches. I was also having my blood taken for my thyroid.

The investigations are interpreted in the conjunction of the symptoms, signs, physical examination findings and other investigations. On their own, investigations are not diagnostic. So your both of these investigations are just the minor aberrations and are not clinically significant (especially since other investigations are normal). The normal range of CO2 is 23-29 mEq/L (milliequivalent per liter). Just a small raise can be due to minor infections. So it true for the alkaline phosphatase levels. You doctor may repeat these investigations after 2-3 weeks. These are likely to come back to normal in this duration.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.