Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Dr. Chip, I need your help again. I have a knee that has

Dr. Chip,
I need your help again. I have a knee that has had 2 previous surgeries re: ligaments in the 1970s. Now there is fluid around and under the kneecap. I have had it drained twice and fluid still returns. Can you tell me why? My knee is painful and stiff. Thanks!
Hi--sorry for the delay. What does the fluid look like, any pain, and have you had an MRI of the knee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had an MRI and an XRay of the knee. Like I shared the other doctor said I needed the reacement surgery but also had arthritis in the knee. The fluid was very bloody the first time and the yellowish the second time and when he removed fluid from under the knee cap it was extremely painful .
OK--what did the MRI show and are you saying that the doctor had no comment on the cause of the fluid? Was there pain before the fluid was aspiriated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only information about the MRI was that "yes, you need a full knee replacement". And I was upset after the aspirations and he just showed me the fluid and said nothing else, ie the cause. There wasn't pain before just stiffness and swelling and now I am taking norco5-325mg one at night because of the swelling and pain.
Sorry for all the questions--have you been screened for autoimmune disoders like rheumatoid arthritis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't but will ask at the next appt. thank you for letting me know.
I'd do the screen since RA can cause this. Other possibilities would be gout, bursitis, and if there had been pain, redness, and warmth, infection of the joint. If this was entirely just behind your kneecap, you could have chondromalacia patellae which is a degenerative condition of the cartilage behind the kneecap
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your extensive answers and questions! It has calmed my anxiety about all of this. Happy NewYear!
Same to you and please call on me anytime you need me