Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have noticed the past few days I feel this creeking feeling

Customer Question

I have noticed the past few days I feel this creeking feeling in my body. It's a little hard to explain but it's like the feeling of the knee when it's creeks. I feel this feeling all different places in my body. Sometimes around my upper ribs, sometimes throughout my back, even in my thighs. What could it be? I have severe anxiety and this is most definitely making it worse!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Are you feeling tired, have muscle pain, cramps?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical illness?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I feel fine other than that, except for the anxiety it causes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It comes and goes. But I don't feel any different other than the feeling it causes.

Hello Natasha,

Your symptoms of creaking feeling are not indicative of anything significant. Just an anxiety can cause this as there is an involuntary spasm of the muscles, which may cause muscle and tendon clicks / creaking, as they do not move in a normal physiological way. Occasionally this may be caused by deficiency of calcium. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own. The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake (if you do)

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals

Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.