Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

From time to time i have a major problem with tomatoes and

Customer Question

From time to time i have a major problem with tomatoes and tkmato products. I am affected by vaying amounts. I get explosive diarrhea from them and my anus burns this hadnt happened in a long time even though i dtill eat them. Almost pure liquid when it happensand can last for hours. I use to joke if i ever neef a colonoscoph i know how to getcleanef out. what causes me to react so bad to tomotos and their products

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David :

Hello. It sounds like you have a food allergy to tomato and tomato products. Tomatoes belong to the "nightshade" plant family which includes tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, tobacco, peppers, and some others. It is actually quite common for people to be allergic to one or more foods of the nightshade group. A number of different allergic reactions are possible. The most common reaction is the excessive production of antibodies against the offending food. However, the body can also react to other unique chemicals in tomatoes. Dr. David

Customer:

even though it doesnt happen everytime i eat them....just once in a great while

Dr. David :

Yes, there are different kinds of food allergies and some are chronic in nature while others give an acute reaction every time. For example, a food allergy caused by "IgE" antibodies will usually cause a reaction every time a person is exposed to the food. While a food allergy caused by "IgG" antibodies may only cause a reaction on occasion. It is also possible that you are reacting to something that has been added to the tomatoes and tomato products such as pesticides, herbicides, or preservatives. There are many chemicals that are added to our foods that are not listed on the label. So that is another possibility.

Customer:

ah ok......then it probably depends on how much is eaten over a period of time too? i notice more problems with it if i have tomoto for several days......then if i skip a couple and intake even just a little i have problems

Dr. David :

Yes. The compound to which you are reacting can build up in the body when eating tomatoes frequently and then cause a reaction when it reaches a certain level. By eating tomatoes less frequently, it gives your body a chance to eliminate and detoxify whichever chemical is causing the problem.

Customer:

so i can enjoy them once in a while as i have been......

Dr. David :

That sounds like a good plan. If you are not having any other health concerns, then eating tomatoes and tomato products every once in a while should be fine. Sometimes people who are allergic to foods in the nightshade family can have other symptoms such as joint pain or other forms of arthritis. If you are having any of these other kinds of symptoms, then it may be a better idea to take a long-term vacation from eating tomatoes.

Customer:

no other priblems with them than what i descibed

Dr. David :

OK. That's good to hear. It should be fine to eat the occasional tomato and tomato product.

Customer:

thank you.....i have been wondering for a long time why they didnt affect me everytimeonce it started in my 20s

Dr. David :

You are welcome. I'm glad that I could offer some useful information.

Customer:

have a good night

Dr. David :

Thanks. Have a good night. I wish you the best. Take care!

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.