A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

my bp is 173/94, pulse is 77. I am not currently being treated

my bp is 173/94, pulse is 77. I am not currently being treated for hbp. I also have the following symptoms:
headache
difficulty focusing
swollen feet and ankles
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

My name isXXXXX to the unique experience that is JustAnswer. Please note that my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear. If we are online at the same time, there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough response for you.

Your blood pressure is a little high. Is the 173/94 a reading just for today, or is that an average of readings over several days?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Readings over the past few days have been

173/94 pulse 76

169/95 pulse 77

172/87 pulse 76

in October it was in this range at the doctor's, but we assumed it was because I was in a lot of pain. I did not go back for a follow up as my pain went away.

It does sound like you need to return to your provider. You would benefit from medication to lower the numbers. Pulse is considered normal between 70 and 100 beats per minute. Sometimes a faster pulse just means that a person is in pain or is anxious or has been drinking too much caffeine.

Sometimes a trial of non-medication strategies can work, such as weight loss if overweight, increased exercise, and lower salt diet. I would suggest you call tomorriw for an appointment so you can get started on whatever strategy (lifestyle changes or medication) your provider thinks is best. With the swollen feet and ankles, a diuretic might be the first thing he or she wants to try.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You're so very welcome. Try to relax and not worry about it. Hypertension is readily treated.

All the best,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist