Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had uncontrolled acid reflux for 1 year now. Take Nexium

I have had uncontrolled acid reflux for 1 year now. Take Nexium 40mg 2x per day. No heartburn, but have sores in my mouth and burned lips when miss a single dose of meds.

However, in the last month I have had 4 instances where my stomach has hurt ALOT. Feels sore to touch all over. 2 of those occasions, (1 today and yesterday) I have liquid yellow diaherra that is burning hot acid along with chills, no fever. Unbearably painful. Can't bear to think of food.

I also had a CT Scan yesterday ordered by a urologist of my abdomen and pelvis. (Reason was spots found on my kidney during sonogram for visit related to having my 8th UTI in 2012).

I am 57 year old femake - and have been healthy all my life - not accustomed to being sick - and a year of UTI's and this gastro thing - the gastro is my main focus right now because I know I have the right Dr for the urology issues.

I am calling a Gastro Dr tomorrow to make an appt and want to know questions to ask. Specifically:
- Will the CT scan I had for urology assist in diagnosis?
- What are possible causes for the acid and for the diaherra?
- FYI my Dad died of stomach cancer (at 86)
- What possible test am I looking at to know - I can't bear this any longer.

Please help.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Is there any blood or mucus in stool? Do you feel any pain while passing that diarrhea? Are you worried about this being cancer? Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't think there is any bllod in my stool. Mucus? Would not know.

Pain while passing diarrhea? Stomach is so very sore entire time...the main pain while passing is the acid - burn, burn, burn.

Cancer? Sure worried about that.

Jerriann thanks a lot for your input. Its my pleasure to assist you but at the same time i am really sorry to hear about your illness. The first thing i would like to tell is this that you don't need to get stressed yourself about cancer because none of your symptoms are indicative of cancer. Here are the answers to your concerns separately.

Will the CT scan I had for urology assist in diagnosis?

Yes surely that will, all depends on the area which have scanned but usually it covers most of the abdomen and i will help in ruling out any growth etc in your intestines.

Its most likely that you have some lesion in your rectal area and that is causing that burning sensation, now that problem can be an anal fissure . The other cause can be due to the fact that this can be the first attack of something like inflammatory bowel disease but again its less likely due to the short history but possible.

Forget cancer, don't worry this is not what you have because this is not how cancer presents.

You should get the following at least; Stool R/E, Stool culture, Stool for ova, cyst and parasites, GI endoscopy. Rest of the investigations will be done as per suspicion.

Its best to see doctor at the earliest. Till you visit your doctor you should use yogurt as it will help you, take BRAT diet, it includes banana, rice, apple sauce and toast. You should drink Gatorade to avoid fluid and electrolyte imbalance.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reassurance. My Dad died 42 days after diagnosis. It is nice to be reassured.

You are most welcome. Yes i have reviewed your symptoms and i am of the opinion that you are not having any cancer. Abdominal symptoms are same for all diseases but it's the pattern of symptoms which guide us and your pattern is not consistent with cancer.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, please feel free to come back on this page for help even after you have rated the answer, you will always find me helpful, regards.