Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Why is there a foul smell from my vagina?

Why does vagina smell like trash?

Since when are you experiencing it?
Is there any vaginal discharge?
Were any investigations done for it?
Are you sexually active?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started experiencing this smell about 7 years ago and I went to the doctor for it. But I was told there was nothing wrong. I am sexually active I have had the partner for the whole 7 years. I had a pap smear done and something done with a swap, I guess it is called a wet pap or what ever. I was told I had a little yeast and bacterial infection thats all.

It seems that a culture or swab test was done, which showed a yeast and bacterial infection. Some women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis, which often require long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abates the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in majority of women.

Boric acid wash for vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.

Women who do not improve with above can use, clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months which is also effective.

Also avoid (if you do) following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants

4) douches

Over the counter vaginal probiotics and oral probiotics would help in restoring the normal vaginal pH and bacterial flora which will eliminate the odor.

The other possibility of diagnosis to consider would be mild bacterial vaginosis. Following are the treatment modalities;

1) Metronidazole (flagyl) and clindamycin have been the drugs of choice.

2) Azithromycin too is effective, especially if there is recurrence or persistence. Secnidazole, ornidazole and tinidazole are also used in the case of antibiotic resistance.

3) Antiseptics as vaginal suppositories;

a) benzydamine,

b) chlorhexidine,

c) dequalinium chloride,

d) polyhexamethylene biguanide,

e) povidone iodine

f) hydrogen peroxide

4) Probiotics

5) Stop douching or bubble bath, if you do.

6) Avoid liquid soaps and body wash.