Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

All last week I had discomfort in my midsection and sometimes

Customer Question

All last week I had discomfort in my midsection and sometimes righr side it didn't feel like gas or diarrhea or heart burn and all bowl movements where normal accept for Friday and till now for four days I have had watery stool no pain just kind of full filling and a lot of watery stool more than 5 times in a day, what can be the cause? Oh a lil pain to the touch towards the right by my lower right ribs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Your symptoms (initially discomfort in middle and right abdomen and later watery stool with tenderness) are suggestive of mild bacterial infection or viral infection of the intestine. The initial management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol
2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.
3) Gatorade / Pedialyte
4) Plenty of fluids
5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.
6) Probiotics

The primary aim is prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If this persists for next couple of days, you may need a course of antibiotic.

The other possibility of diagnosis can be;

1) Diverticulitis; diverticulum are blind pouch in intestine where food can stagnate and thus infection can supervene. Usually symptoms are more severe.
2) Gall bladder stone; Pain and tenderness are more common and diarrhea is less frequent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.