Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I am having cataract surgery on thur and feel a cold coming

I am having cataract surgery on thur and feel a cold coming on can I take zicam ? what else can I take that wont interfear with surgery
Thank you:

When did your cold symptoms start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There would no problem taking Zicam, although there is really little evidence (despite the heavy marketing), that this product will do anything to shorten the duration of the cold.

The various over-the-counter cold tablets marketed treat symptoms, but do not treat the infection itself. Tylenol is OK to use, plenty of fluids and rest are you best options.

You should also contact the physician who will be doing the surgery, since most physicians would advise against elective surgery while suffering from any type of infection.