Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I have diverticulitis and had an "episode" December 18. I

I have diverticulitis and had an "episode" December 18. I went to the clinic and got antibiotics and stayed on mostly liquid for the next few days. It seemed to settle down but for the past week I have had horrible nausea and continual diarrhea. I am changing jobs and my insurance will be out as of 1/1/13, should I go to the emergency room or just let it run its course?

My name isXXXXX a registered nurse. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

I would urge you to go ahead and seek treatment now at your nearest Emergency Department. An acute case of Diverticulitis (as opposed to living with chronic Diverticulosis) can present a truly urgent or even emergent medical condition if left unattended for long enough. One can even risk a perforation. There's no need to suffer. I happened to also be a licensed attorney, and coupled with many years of clinical experience in emergency settings, I can assure you the hospital has a duty to evaluate and stabilize you. So, I would just urge caution and don't risk your health. It's not worth it, and waiting until the first of the year is simply not prudent, especially given your prior history.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, R.N., J.D.

Hello Sandra,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, R.N., J.D.