Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Male 54, 61", 215#. My Hemoglobin A1C is 6.1. Can that improve

Male 54, 6'1", 215#. My Hemoglobin A1C is 6.1. Can that improve with diet/exercise? Am I nuking my pancreas everytime I eat a piece of candy or is there a reasonable amount of sugar I can consume?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I

Do you have family history of diabetes?
Are you overweight?
Are you on any medications?
Any past significant medical issue?
Have you undergone blood tests, if yes please share results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response, Dr. Josh.

At 75 with bad kidneys, heart and system shutting down, my dad finally tested positive for diabetes; was clean before then. Have an uncle who lost both legs (assume diabetes, but don't know), and was 300ish# XXXXX that.

As the question stated, I'm 6'1" 215#. Do you think I'm overweight?

20mg Lovastatin daily.

No other significant medical issues.

HDLs test 27-40 over the years.

8/4/12 LDL 34

Total Cholesterol 148

Triglicerides 84, LDL 97 (calculated)

Non-HDL Cholesterol 114

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 4.4

LDL/HDL Ratio 2.85

PSA 0.9

Thanks for quick input.

Well, considering your height and weight Body mass index (BMI)comes to be 28.4

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater .

Your BMI comes to be 28.4, So you lie in Overweight Category.

According to studies-

Normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 5.6%.
HbA1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% indicate increased risk of diabetes, and levels of 6.5% or higher indicate diabetes.

Your levels of HbA1c makes you Prediabetes. It should not be left ignored and have to be evaluated by doctor.

Borderline diabetes is a wake-up call to lose weight, exercise more, improve the diet with more fiber, drink more coffee without milk or sugar, and generally improve the health to try and head off diabetes proper.
At this time, you need to undergo lifestyle changes to delay or even prevent the onset of full-blown diabetes.

You should follow these measures-
1. Obese and overweight people are at high risk of having pre-diabetes changing into diabetes. You need to loose weight.

2. You should have a moderate exercise for 30 minutes a day, you can go for exercise such as cycling, swimming, or brisk walking.

3. You should mix a balance of low-fat protein, vegetables, and whole grains, this can prevent pre-diabetes from turning to diabetes.

4. You should avoid caffeine, alcohol. You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

5. At this time, Your physician can determine what range of sugar intake will be specifically beneficial for you. You may be limited to only 25 or even 20 g of sugar per day, after your doctor's evaluation.

Yes, at this time you may not need medications, But lifestyles changes are must. I would suggest that you should have a thorough discussion with your doctor for this issue.

If you have any further query then please feel free to ask.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good wake up call!

Caffeinated soda & coffee under 10/month.

Tea (never sugar) maybe 5/week, more when it's cold. I've heard much about health benefits of tea; any concerns about this level of caffeine consumption?

Jeff, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, you can safely take tea( without sugar) in your present amount.
Research has shown that tea brings a number of health benefits including improving insulin sensitivity.

researchers believe that Teas such as black tea, green tea and oolong tea contain polyphenols may increase insulin activity.
Yes, you can also take soda and coffee at your present levels, It will not have any harmful effects.

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.