Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Hi,This question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX father. My father

This question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX father. My father is a retired 65 yr old man. He retired about 4 years ago. His lifestyle used to be just about work, and when he'd get home he'd just watch tv or sleep. Recently I saw a huge deterioration of my father's mental health.

He refuses to do anything else, but either to lay on the couch and sleep/rest or eat. He refuses to talk to me or my mum or my brother. When we ask him to go do something, like to go talk a walk, or go out for dinner, he refuses to. He keeps saying he's too tired and just has no energy and would prefer to stay at home and sleep. He is tired throughout the whole day and night.

We ask him how he is feeling, and what he is thinking, and he refuses to tell us. He denies he feels anything, and refuses to talk about himself, and then he gets frustrated that we are asking him these questions. To us, they are just simple questions but to him it's upsetting his peace of mind.

He refuses to go out and see his friends. And he refuses to go see a doctor, or a health specialist. There is nobody that can seem to get through to him. When my mum persists through, slowly she can get him to go out and talk a walk, but its extremely taxing on my mum.

Whenever we ask him to do anything he gets extremely nervous and extremely stressed. When you are stern on him to get him to do something, you see his hands start shaking, and he gets extremely confused. Its like he doesn't want to do it, but he doesn't want to avoid the conflict either. I think he avoids doing anything because it gets too stressful for him.

I have to add he is an extremely anxious and worried person.

With such a refusing attitude, we are all are getting extremely frustrated. First of all, what is my dad going through? And how do we approach this health issue to get him wanting to do things other than resting, sleeping and eating (such as taking a walk for exercise, or going out to meet with his old friends, or cooking e.t.c.)?

Your expert reponse and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Is he having any medical illness?

Is he taking any medicines?

Stress and anxiety issues?

Is he eating well?

Weight loss?

Fatigue?

Any history of joints pain?

Confused,irritable?

Duration of symptoms?

Has he been seen his doctor recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is he having any medical illness? Is he taking any medicines?

Has he been seen his doctor recently?

A month and a half ago, he was having constipation problems. He wasn't able to pass faeces for weeks. He started getting extremely confused and dillusional. He was extremely anxious and stressed. He has seen a doctor about this, and he has been give Konsyl-D to resolve this problem.

He also went to see a doctor about his mental stability, my father does not communicate well at all. The doctor deduced that he was very stressed, and gave him Lorazepam. He started taking this for a couple of weeks, but he says he doesn't feel well after taking them and has now stopped.

Stress and anxiety issues?

When we ask him what he is worried or anxious about, he says there's nothing he's worried about. But when we ask him to do things such as go out for a walk, or to go out shopping, he says he doesn't want to and just wants to rest. When we persist that he should he gets frustrated.

He looks and feels stressed and anxious about doing anything else other than to sleep or eat. But he denies that he is.

Though he has never seen a doctor about this issue, I believe he has always been an anxious person. He is constantly worried and which may be a reason why he refuses to do anything. But he hardly expresses or communicates himself to us. He may not recognise that this is not a normal feeling either.

Is he eating well?

He eats when he is hungry. He will eat meats and vegetables.

Weight loss?

No sign of weight loss. However he has become much less active.

Fatigue?

He keeps saying that he is too tired and has no energy to do anything, and just wants to rest.

Any history of joints pain?

None that has been diagnosed by a doctor, sometimes he says he feels back pain.

Confused,irritable?

When we try to teach him things, he doesn't remember things, and he gets confused easily. He also gets irritated very easily. He does not like others to disturb him when he is resting on the couch or bed.

Duration of symptoms?

It is ongoing

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as per your description you shouldn't ignore his symptoms as he is not good in health and if left untreated then his symptoms'll gradually get worse over the time.

As he has hand shaking,difficulty in moving,stress,depression so it is advised to consult your family doctor and a clinical examination should be considered.

Potential differential diagnosis may include Parkinson's disease,Thyroid dysfunction,Arthritis,Depression.

He should take Metamucil for constipation.

He needs to get cognitive behavioural therapy and counselling under a pyschologist as well.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM