Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

A little over a week ago I noticed a small lump under the skin

A little over a week ago I noticed a small lump under the skin on the inside of my thumb by the knuckle. After I rubbed it the lump did get smaller. The lump is so small if I rub my thumb against my skin I can't feel it. If I bend my thumb I can't feel it either.
Welcome and thanks for your question , most of these tiny lumps are ganglion cysts ( which is a small fluid filled sac or pouch under the skin ) .

Other possibility would be an inclusion cyst ,they also contain fluid and are result of a previous trauma in your hands or finger .

These cysts do not produce any problems .

However ,they could grow overtime in which case they will need to be removed.

Other conditions that produce similar symptoms are bone spurs ( these are bone spiky projections , specially in areas where there have been bone loss ), tendon inflammation, tendon sheath tiny mass or an enchondroma ( which is small mass of cartilage tissue that grows inside the bones ) .

But this is probably a cyst and nothing else .

If you continue feeling it , You should consult a doctor who will evaluate you and perform a hand X-rays .

For most patients , these tiny ganglion cysts do not need to be removed ,only they grow producing discomfort or pain.

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.