Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I have discovered a lump between left thumb and first finger,

I have discovered a lump between left thumb and first finger, closer to thumb about 1/4 inch. There is no discomfort. What could it be, who should I have check it??

Welcome and thanks for your question , in most cases, these lumps are ganglion cysts which are small sacs or pouches that contain liquid fluid inside or inclusion cysts ( these ones are result of a previous traumatic event ) .

However , there are other possibilities including the presence of tendon sheath masses, bone spurs ( product of degenerative bone conditions like osteoarthritis in which the joints suffer a wear and tear process ) , bone overgrowth areas or an enchondroma ( this is a benign mass formed by cartilage tissue that grows inside the bone ) .

All these conditions are completely benign and can be treated with minimal surgery to remove the mass. You should consult a General Surgeon to evaluate you and treat you.

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.