Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Cholesteral - weight loss

I'm a 60 yr. old woman who was about 97 lbs. - about a year ago, my Dr. started testing my blood work because of my cholesteral. She put me on a Mediterrainian diet. My last test was: HDL - 44, LDL - 82 & Trig. - 69 which my total is under 200. Is 195 a danger zone?... A few friends noticed I lost weight. Personally, I think my Dr. may be a perfectionist. But I do notice IF I eat something that has alot of sugar, which I try to stay away from, then I feel pressure in my head..... What can I do to gain my weight back without all the carbs and still stay healthy. She was very impressed with my bloodwork though! Please help! thank you....

Hello?  Is anyone going to help me??  I need to log-off now.  Will you be calling?  If my question isn't answered, I would like my money back.  thx...

What is your current weight?

How tall are you?

Do you have any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 91 lbs and I'm 5' 1 1/2".... I'm very, very healthy... I'm just taking Atelvia for my bones is all...

Thank you:

Based on your height and weight, you would be classified as "underweight" based on your BMI (body mass index - a standardized measurement of body weight/height).

Assuming that your doctors have ruled out any medical causes (such as an overactive thyroid), the only thing you really have to do (or can do) is to increase the total number of calories you eat.

Each pound corresponds to approximately 3500 calories. If you increase slightly your intake of food, you will find that you weight gradually increases. Some weight bearing exercise and/or resistance training can help build muscle mass AND will help with bone density as well.

You can continue on the same diet, just increase the portion size a bit at each meal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer was very informative and thank you... but why aren't we given your name? I've noticed other replies were given the name of the Dr.

Also, it took approx. 1 1/2 - 2 days for a reply when it says "Get an answer ASAP"... I noticed one nurse couldn't answer my question. So are we handed down until a Dr. can answer the questions? I'm just trying to understand how this works... thx for any info you can give me.

I'm not sure why it took 1 1/2 days for you to get an answer. My original response (request for additional information) was posted 1 hour and 37 minutes after you posted your question. I then posted my answer 1 hour and 14 minutes after you posted your reply with additional information. I do know that the site may have been having some issues with Email notifications being delayed, but I did try to give you the best possible answer as quickly as possible.

I do not use my name on this site for personal privacy/security reasons. I hope you understand my desire to keep my name from being published. If you would feel more comfortable continuing with another professional, I will gladly opt-out and ask another expert to continue with this question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also noticed when I first logged in, the price was $14.00. So I wrote that in my bank registry. THen I see that it was $16.00. I already knew that I was not going to use this site again but you did answer my question which I thank you... when you came on to help me, you Did answer in a timely manner. That's why in my first message, I said, "hello, is anyone going to help me"? but everything seems to be corrected now, I hope. I'm just a curious person and wanted some answers.

thank you, dr.