Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

when i woke up this morning at around 8 i went to sit at the

when i woke up this morning at around 8 i went to sit at the computer and then all of a sudden my heart started beating really fast for no reason at all. so i decided to lay back down again and when i got back up i sat at the computer again and it did the same thing. my heart beating fast only lasted maybe 30 seconds and then i was fine accept for a tightness in my chest which i assumed was anxiety from experiencing the heart racing. last night i was playing just dance 4 on our kinect for the XBox for a few hours and ive also recently started working on third shift at my job so i have been drinking at least one bottle of 5 hour energy a day/night.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Caffeine, change in sleep habits, stress of your new job, even slight dehydration can all cause palpitations....ESPECIALLY the caffeine. I would recommend you not drink any more of the 5 hour energy drinks and no coffee or soft drinks that contain caffeine. If you notice this again, you'll need to be examined by your DR and have a EKG. A sudden change in your heart rhythm can cause anxiety and this will sometimes make the palpitations worse (one feeds off the other). Try to get plenty of rest...drink more fluids today than you normally would (mainly water), and like I said, if you continue to notice this, you'll need to be checked out by your DR (or urgent care/walk in clinic). In normal adults, an irregular heartbeat is of no clinical concern - especially if it only happens occasionally and can be directly linked to caffeine consumption.

Another thought, stay away from cough and cold medications also as they will tend to cause palpitations also.

Reply back if I can help you further.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.