Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Is ther such a thing as male morning sickness? For the past

Is ther such a thing as male morning sickness? For the past few weeks I have been waking up with nausea which results in throwing up about 10 percent of the time. The nausea doesnt seem to go away until about 3 hours after I am up. There are no new stressors in my life with the exception of my wife getting a new job, but thats not a real stressor in my mind as she is happier than ever. My blood pressure has been controlled for the past several years on the same dose and same medication, I do take medication for acid reflux. Any ideas???
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

What an interesting way to start your question. There isn't necessarily a thing as male morning sickness but there are several other things it could be. A small peptic ulcer may be causing your symptoms....ulcers will tend to bother patients more when their stomach is EMPTY vs. FULL because the acid in the stomach is more concentrated when there is no food or beverages in the stomach to absorb or 'dilute' the acid. Ulcers can cause a gnawing sensation in the stomach, stomach pain, nausea/vomiting, and even a feeling of fullness (can't even drink beverages without feeling full) may have some of these symptoms or only a few.

Another possibility is a bacteria called H. Pylori. It is a bacteria that can invade the gut and cause nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas etc...but it would most likely bother you all day and not just upon waking up.

Your acid reflux may also be to blame. If it's not controlled 100%, the acid coming up the esophagus while asleep can irritate your esophagus and cause subsequent nausea.

Another possibility is your acid reflux medication itself (if taken at night) could be making you nauseated. Nausea can be a side effect of acid reducers but if you have been on the same one for a long time and you're just now getting this symptom, it most likely due to something else.

I would recommend a checkup if you've not had one in a long time if this continues.

In the meantime, try to eat a small snack before going to sleep (like 5-6 crackers - I mean very small), and see if this helps your symptoms.

Reply back if I can help further.